Immunity

Look!

Four little bandages on my arm from four injections for four amazing diseases!

Combine this with a big charge for airfare on my credit card statement, and a trip to Kenya is imminent!

Sort of imminent. Two-months-from-now imminent. Very excited, though temporarily sore in this arm.

Talking with the doctor before the shots, I realized my awareness of my own immunization history is somewhat poor. I feel lucky that I don't have to be vigilant with regards to my polio booster, for example. But I feel uneasy at the thought that I tend to give so little thought to my own medical history.



Getting older means worrying about this crap more.





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've never gotten bandaids! I think it's the Yellow Fever one that hurts so much; like an achy bowling ball in the muscle. You can call your pediatrician and have your immunization history faxed to your current doctor (that's what I did). You can also ask the current dr. to list all your new immunizations (and also to add the old ones if you want) to a vaccination card... a little yellow folding booklet from the UN.