At work this week

There's some staff turnover at the MFI where I'm working. Last Friday, the colleague I've been working with the most left. I'm now bringing his replacement up to speed. I think the replacement is competent, honest, and a good guy, but I'm not clear he can type. Additionally, the operations manager (essentially the managing director for the entire microfinance institution) is leaving this week.

Departures such as this could be a sign of bad things for the MFI: finding replacements could be a challenge and turnover could imply other issues. I think the former is true, as both departing employees were great. However, I think the fact that there's turnover doesn't necessarily signal problems here. Instead, I think it's encouraging that both these guys are leaving to do other things. As an outsider at least, I'm glad to see they were able to find opportunities elsewhere as it signals prospects in the broader market.

Separately, the U.S. match is happening Wednesday at the same time as the England match. I'm nervous about being able to watch the U.S. as I think the England match will get top billing here.

2 comments:

DG said...

Any female employees there?

Aaron Kaye said...

I'd guess female employees make up a little more than half the staff here. Additionally, I saw portfolio stats today showing about 70% of all loans currently go to women.