I lie to Canadians

I had the chance to go skiing at Jay Peak this weekend. It was a great trip for a number of reasons. First of all, there was a ton of new snow. Great conditions. Also, this was my first time skiing in the East. I see some solid reasons why it doesn't stack up with skiing in the West, and at least now I can pontificate on the inferiority of the East Coast with some authority. But I'm not here to talk about that.

The final reason I was very satisfied with this trip was because of all the Canadians I met. I won't deny that they were something of a novelty to me. And I don't mean to demean their country at all; I think they're very neat. I just haven't met that many and I was pretty excited that there were so many at the resort (Jay Peak is located in northern Vermont, just a few miles [kilometres, mon ami] from the border.) Seriously though, it was pretty neat to be surrounded by so many French-speaking skiers and snowboarders.

And this leads me to another fun part of the weekend, lying to Canadians. Not just to Canadians, lying to everyone I met. Since there were considerable crowds, my skiing partners (friends from work) all decided to wait in the "singles" lift lines rather than ride up the mountains as groups of three or four. This meant that every time I rode the lift up the mountain I was riding with a group of skiers I'd never met before. And each time our small talk revealed that I was working in finance in Boston. By noon on Saturday I was bored of this lifestyle. So then I became a masters student studying human physiology. Then I became a consultant based out of San Francisco. Then I worked for a pharmaceutical company, then I was working in education, then at a bike shop. I considered "singer/songwriter" but got scared someone might ask me to sing.

No comments: