Day of Glorious Food

Saturday started off like any other Saturday -- getting woken up too early by the busy traffic on Brookline Street. But this Saturday was unique thanks to two very awesome things: breakfast and dinner.

Breakfast came from the authoratitive cookbook "The All New Joy of Cooking." The goal was to cook pancakes, because, as we all know, they are the best food ever. (Not an opinion... verified fact.) Rather than traditional pancakes, we went with "Silver Dollar Hots," which are described simply as "super light and fluffy... delicate treats." Unfortunately, I think we aimed too high. Long story short, something got messed up. But anything can be salvaged with a bit of chocolate. First we added some chocolate chips. That was good, and we decided to up the ante by adding Ghirardelli hot cocoa powder to the batter. This was also good, but we needed more. So we piled a bunch of the Silver Dollar Hots onto a bowl of Ultra Chocolate ice cream by Double Rainbow. It was very good. This reinforces my earlier argument that chocolate fixes anything.

Dinner was the second awesome of the day. Along with four of my housemates, I had my first trip to Mr. and Mrs. Bartley's Burger Cottage. I think Bartley's is Harvard's answer to that one local place that every Ivy League school has that's kind of a tradition and everyone goes there and doesn't mind the wait. This place had awesome burgers, good shakes (excuse me... frappes), and good fries. There was a lot of anticipation when I finally headed into the place for dinner after waiting outside for 20 minutes, and there was definitely the potential for the food to fall short of the expectations, but I was very pleased with the meal.

Awesome.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think Joy of Cooking is wrong about pancakes, something to do with not enough flour. Mine never turn out right when I listen to them. --EW