Ecuador I

I made it back from Ecuador in one piece. It was an awesome trip. However, my to-do list was only partly successful; I forgot to watch the toilet flush; I did eat cuy; I really didn't speak much Spanish.

But of course this trip had much more to it. We spent the first few days in Cuenca, which is a moderately-sized, middle class city at 8000 feet in southern Ecuador. We had lots of great, cheap food.

This included good bread shops, gelato, seafood, produce, and of course cuy. At the market we bought all sorts of really good produce. We also bought 15 eggs for a dollar and had to find change because the egg man couldn't break a five dollar bill. Ecuador uses the US dollar and all of our coins. I know there were news stories a couple years ago about those Sacajawea gold dollars being a waste. But they're making good use of them in Ecuador.

No comments: