The Lottery

I really don't like the lottery.  I read a quote that said the lottery is a tax on people who don't understand probability.  I think this is true.  But the big reason I don't like the lottery is that I think it's a tax on working class people who shouldn't be throwing money out like that.  I'm not asserting that I know what's best for people.  I also don't know what the numbers are, but I'm guessing the majority of people who are buying lottery tickets should really be holding on to that extra few bucks to spend on some necessity.  

So here's the idea.  What if you could turn the lottery system into a savings vehicle for those would-be ticket buyers.  When someone buys a ticket, put some of it into savings for them rather than putting it towards the lottery.  (Maybe for a $5 ticket, $4 dollars would go into a savings account and the other $1 would be gambled.)  This way there's the gambling part but the buyer actually gets their money back at the end.... All this being said, I don't think that it'd ever work.  

No comments: