Grains

I'm a fan of good, hearty bread for sandwiches. I don't just mean a solid loaf of wheat over white bread. I mean really serious loaves. Like when the bread makers (or bakers, if you will) get really into it and throw a bunch of seeds on top of the bread. That's good stuff. Included in this breed of grain-topped bread are the 7 grain and 9 grain varieties, which I feel are somewhat standard. Good hearty bread makes a good sandwich makes a good person.

On a recent shopping trip, however, I was blown away by the impressive choice of grain-topped breads. I had to take a picture:

Hopefully all the loaves there are identifiable. Basically, Pepperidge Farms has outdone themselves with 7 grain bread, 9 grain bread, 12 grain bread, and 15 grain bread. It's a really interesting progression when you study it closely. All but one are odd. All but one are divisible by three. There must be some secret code there. Like a Fibonacci sequence or something. And think about it, if you made a big ol' sandwich and used a slice of each, you'd have forty-three grains on your sandwich! Alas I just went with one loaf (the 15 grain, obviously.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think we need some research. Can you think of 15 types of grain?