More grains

I need to follow up on my last post regarding bread for two reasons.

First, a comment on the post asked if I could come up with 15 grains, possibly those included in 15 grain bread. I thought long and hard and came up with exactly five. Then I decided to go after the answer on the bread package only to discover we've finished the loaf. I looked online, but Pepperidge Farms' website didn't have the ingredients. Here were my thoughts on what grains might be in there: wheat, oats, barley, flax, rye. That's all I got. Five seems pretty pitiful to me...

The second reason I have to follow up on the last post about 7, 9, 12, and 15 grain bread is that I came up with the perfect thing to go with all these grains (all 43 of them). That would be "Forty Spices" hummus.


That's a picture of me with a thunderstruck look on my face trying to fathom the mind-bending implications of all those flavors together. I don't even know how to calculate all the combinations, but something tells me it involves either factorials, linear algebra, differential equations, or magic. I will attempt to make a sandwich with the 40 spices hummus as well as one slice of each bread I mentioned before (7, 9, 12, and 15 grain breads).

I pray that it doesn't upset the spacetime continuum.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

With some online help, I found lots of cereals. But I only get to 15 if I cound "pseudocereals" (Wikipedia's word, not mine).

1. Maize
2. Rice
3. Wheat
4. Barley
5. Sorghum
6. Millet
7. Oats
8. Rye
9. Buckwheat (pseudocereal)
10. Fonio
11. Quinoa (pseudocereal
12. Triticale (wheat/rye hybrid)
13. Teff (Ethiopia)
14. Spelt
15. Bulgur
16. Amaranth

Aaron Kaye said...

Wow. A few of those sound made up to me (Fonio?) But nice work.