Mint

I read about a free online financial tool (I can't recall where) called Mint.com and decided to give it a try. The premise (and I don't think it's a novel one) is to have all the user's financials in one place.  What a cool idea.  Seriously.  

So it aggregates all the activity from my bank account (and all the deposits and withdrawals, etc.) with my credit card balance (and all the purchases I've made) and my 401(k) and my online high-yield bank account.
Here's the pretty screenshot...

My initial reaction is that it's pretty cool but not revolutionary. At least not for me. The interface is relatively easy to navigate, there's plenty of cool forecasting features (that sadly I'll probably never use.) I think in general I have never been overwhelmed by the task of tracking my finances, so this service isn't filling a huge gap for me.  It might not become part of my routine, but again, it's pretty cool and I think I'll use it for a while to see if it grows on me.

No comments: