Beaches

Over the weekend I traveled south down the peninsula that Freetown's perched atop to visit one of the many beaches along the coast.  The trip was less than 25 miles but took a couple hours: two packed minibuses, some lost wandering about, a bunch of haggling, and a ride on the back of a motorbike.  And despite the physical proximity, it really felt a world away.  The beach had fine white sand and was almost entirely deserted.  I walked past old, wildly-painted canoes where men were organizing their fishing nets.  The water was clean and clear and bathwater warm.  Locals from the nearby village approached me at midday and I bought lunch from them consisting of freshly caught and cooked fish and fried plantains.  

Yes, I'm absolutely bragging, but it was AMAZING.  I'm still shocked by how nice it was and that I felt like I was in a movie.  I can't believe it exists so close to Freetown.  

If I could post a picture I would.  I'm going back to the beaches another time (several times?) because apparently there are many different ones that stretch for miles and each has something slightly different to offer.  

No comments: