First Day at Work

I had to wear a suit today. This is terrifying stuff... forget the the other things I ought to be worrying about. I guess I've been spoiled by a lax dress code at my former job in the States, huh?

Here's me grimacing because I had to get dressed up.

So, first day at the office. Lots of handshakes and introductions and formalities. I got to meet most of the staff at the headquarters of LAPO Sierra Leone, one of the two microfinance institutions (MFIs) I'll work with. I met two "Kiva Coordinators" who work on all the Kiva loans as well as the guy who runs the books, the branch auditor, and two directors. While working here at LAPO, I'll be sharing an office with the two staff responsible for the Kiva loans.

No clients come to the MFI headquarters. Instead, all the "action" happens at the branch offices. These are located throughout the Freetown with a few in other cities. I got the chance to visit a branch office and see loans being dispersed. In one case three women received loans for their small roadside businesses. They received a type of loan product that gives each of them funds for their own businesses, but they also form a sort of assurance group that makes them share responsibility for repayment. After they each completed paperwork and the credit officer presented them with three checks, everyone bowed their heads for the loudest of the women to say a prayer for everyone's health and for blessing of the loans.

Good first day.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

B had just asked when you officially started. Wearing a suit in W. Af. rainy season is a sign of true commitment!

DG said...

So if you are going to wear your long sleeved white dress shirt a lot, maybe you want me to get a new one for Sewanee regardless of cuff type. Suspect it will get a bit dingy after a while!