Boo April

April means springtime. It means longer days and nicer weather. It means baseball. But it also means street sweeping season. This is bad. While this seems an insignificant change, it is definitely not. It is a big deal. Huge.

The even-numbered side of my street gets cleaned on certain days each month (like the first and third Tuesday), and the odd-numbered side on certain other days. Then the street on the side of my house has certain other days for the even side and the odd side. Basically there's constant street sweeping. The cleanliness of the streets is not what I have an issue with. It's the public works truck that does laps around my block at 7am letting everyone know with a recorded message being broadcast on a loudspeaker: "Street sweeping. No pahking on the even-numbahed side. You will be tagged and towed."

I'm sure the process has been thoroughly debated. And I'm sure if I had my car parked on the wrong side of the street I'd be grateful for the reminder to move it. But I'm not really a fan. Getting woken up throughout the week from April 1 until October 31 is a bummer. I see two possible actions to take:
1) go to a city council meeting and cry about it.
2) earplugs
3) move to the suburbs where people have driveways.

I'm not sure how this one turns out, but I'm pretty sure that in the end AOK still gets woken up.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like that even the garbage trucks have Boston accents. -EW